Drain Cleaning Services
Clearing Blockages & Keeping Drains Clog-Free
At Cardinal Plumbing & Electric, we have extensive experience handling even the most stubborn of drain clogs. Any kind of blockage in your plumbing system can lead to problems like burst pipes or leaks and can even be a health hazard to your family.
If you are experiencing drain backup, other signs you have a clogged drain, or have questions about how you can prevent a main drain clog, you can always rely on Cardinal Plumbing & Electric for expert advice and a solution to suit your home and budget. Put an end to clogged drains by choosing our Peterborough drain clearing experts today!
Signs of a Drain That Needs Cleaning
Quite often, a clogged drain is easy to spot—most of the time, you’ll notice the symptoms right away. Sometimes, however, a drain can be experiencing build-up or can have an unnoticeable clog.
In these instances, you should be on the lookout for:
- Water pooling around the drain
- Slow drains
- Foul smells from your faucets or other plumbing fixtures
If you’re experiencing slow or clogged drains, we understand how frustrating this can be. Cardinal Plumbing & Electric is always here to help get your drains flowing again.
There are many factors that may contribute to a clogged drain. Below we list common clog areas and their most common causes:
- Kitchen drain clogs: Repeated cleaning of oily pans or pouring oils down the sink; cleaning rice off plates, which absorbs water and can expand in your piping; and coffee grounds, which clump and cause other foods to attach to them.
- Toilet clogs: Hygiene products including floss, q-tips, and sanitary products often clog toilets. Nothing except toilet paper should ever be flushed and the labels on your products that indicate they are “flushable” can cause major issues if you have older piping, toilets, or public infrastructure.
- Bathroom sinks, tubs, and shower clogs: It’s almost always the same thing—hair. Hair will often stick to residue in the drainage caused by oils in soaps, toothpaste, and shaving products causing a domino effect of buildup.
- Main drain clogs: Your main drain is at a minimum 10 cm in diameter and is the largest drain in your home. That means that the other causes listed above just aren't enough to cause a backup with one exception—sanitary products like pads and tampons.
As your main drain can be penetrated by roots as well as affected by the ground shifting over time, this can create situations that easily accumulate build-ups. Main drain backups require special equipment to address and should never be snaked unless by a professional. Unfortunately, telecom services, gas lines, and fibre optics can find their way into your drain line when they are “torpedoed” underground by the installer. Accidentally hitting one of these can cause major infrastructure damage and in the worst case, death. This is the equivalent of “call before you dig.” You should always use a drain camera before you snake past your foundation wall.
How to Prevent a Clogged Drain
Clogged drains can happen whether we try to prevent them or not. However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t effective steps that can be taken to mitigate clogs.
Some ways to prevent clogged drains include:
- Use hair and lint catchers on sinks, tubs, and washing machine drains.
- Don't rinse compounds like sand, grease, cement, or grout down the drain.
- Collect food waste by composting or throwing it away instead of always using the garbage disposal.
- Never flush personal care products and anything other than toilet paper.
Multiple Ways of Unclogging a Drain
Often, all that is necessary is to run a pipe snake or a cable down the drain to break up any clogs. However, there are times when using a cable just doesn’t get the job done. For those situations, it is necessary to run a hydro-jet down the drain. A hydro-jet sends highly pressurized water through the pipes to clean them out and get the drain cleared. Still, sometimes even hydro jetting doesn’t work. At these times, our expert plumbers will inspect for tree roots that could be causing a problem or pipes that need to be repaired. Should this occur, we will discuss your options with you and provide you with estimates on the repairs.
“I couldn't have asked for more friendly and prompt service. They completed a ton of work quickly and left the area cleaner than before! I will definitely be calling on Cardinal Plumbing & Electric again.”- Nicole M.
“Technicians were both very knowledgeable and clearly explained our options, with estimates, before starting. Kevin and Jaden were very professional, courteous, respectful and friendly. We were so happy to have all our repairs done in one afternoon.”- Janette F.
“Kevin is our new favorite person. He came out at the end of his day on a Friday and figured out how to fix our water issue so many other people couldn’t fix. We are beyond impressed at how knowledgeable, helpful and friendly the guys were. Thank you.”- Tom F.